- Bimeda is a leading global innovator, manufacturer and marketer of veterinary pharmaceuticals and animal health products and has over half a century’s experience in providing science-driven solutions to optimize the health, wellbeing and productivity of the world’s animals. Bimeda’s nine manufacturing facilities across seven countries allow the company to manufacture a broad range of preventative, curative and nutritional products including sterile injectables, vaccinations, nutritional boluses, feed additives, tablets, water-soluble powders, pastes and non-sterile liquids. Globally, the company focuses on the development, manufacture and commercialization of quality Bimeda-branded products while also being the partner of choice for contract manufacturing and R&D services for prominent companies within the animal health industry.
Purpose of the Role
Reporting to the Materials Manager, the Buyer is accountable for the procurement of materials and services to ensure the continued operations of Bimeda Canada manufacturing plant. This role is responsible for coordinating, communicating and monitoring of the MRO and packaging needs of Bimeda Canada in tandem with operational requirements of the site. This requires supplier management, which includes (but is not limited to) supplier forecasting, leveraging data for strategic negotiations, as well as managing supplier performance through metrics in alignment with company goals. It will involve coordinating inbound and/or outbound shipments and ensuring customer requirements and inventory policies are met. The role will require inter-departmental collaboration and display an ability to think tactically to achieve day-to-day tasks and business objectives for the site.
The role involves Liaising with members of the wider organization to understand their requirements and ensure material availability for commercial production, testing, maintenance and R&D activities within agreed upon timelines. The ideal candidate would display an aptitude to learn continuously and seek new ways to gradually improve the performance of the overall supply chain.
Purchasing Coordination & Inventory Management:
- Participates in the procurement of indirect / non-production materials and services including but not limited to: production supplies, maintenance, project, logistics and warehousing machinery, supplies & services
- Act as the escalation point of contact for the business on all indirect purchase requisitions and purchase orders
- Monitor outputs and purchasing signals from MRP, analyse & verify demand and then place orders with vendors to ensure that needs of the site’s production are met.
- Update PO delivery dates and quantities based on variation in demand or supply parameters.
- Analyze supply and demand changes with the objective of identifying trends, cost-saving opportunities, and potential operational improvements to the procurement process
- Instruct and advise of any changes in shipping and receiving priorities and changes from vendors
- Grasp the fundamentals of Bimeda’s supply chain processes and coordinate with internal departments to ensure that appropriate plans are in place to mitigate potential problems
- Support Purchasing Manager in maintaining department metrics. Prepare various reports on a monthly or as needed basis for supply chain team.
- Monitor and track orders and existing inventory to schedule, expedite and coordinate the delivery.
- Proactively resolve supplier complaints to ensure with set quality compliance standards.
- Liaise with key personnel at each major supplier; understand their manufacturing processes, equipment and systems, and quality managements systems and grasp the implications for Bimeda’s purchasing policies.
- Provide updates on procurement outcomes to all internal departments (i.e. Warehousing, QA, Planning, QC, maintenance, Technical Operations and R&D).
- Perform Inventory adjustments, resolve discrepancies, and inventory reconciliation (backflushing) and provide support to stakeholders as needed
- Supports inventory control & warehousing activities as needed.
- Provide back-up and support to supply chain department as needed.
- Assists in the management of short-term operational issues when required.
- Other duties as assigned by Materials Manager.
Vendor Management & Reporting:
- Coordinate all vendor related documentation including certificates of analysis & testing, technical specifications, Standard Operations Procedures, Change Requests etc. as required.
- Support Purchasing team as required and assist with escalation potential issues, suggesting resolutions and maintain a log of problems arising from internal and external supply chain constraints
- Know key personnel at each major supplier; understand their manufacturing processes and lead time implications.
- Generate reports on obsolete and expired inventory and assist in the rationalization and removal of said inventory to ensure data integrity is maintained within the MRP system
- Support Materials Manager in maintaining department metrics. Prepare various reports on a monthly or as needed basis for supply chain team.
- Develop and track KPIs while working with impacted departments to benchmark and achieve targeted metrics
- Create and analyse reports from MRP, inventory & warehousing systems to help optimize Bimeda Canada’s supply chain
- Generate, develop and maintain reports from QAD that provide insight into various supply chain processes as required.
- Generate reports on consumption, budgeting and material forecasts to identify opportunities for purchasing strategies and procurement projects, and act as project coordinator.
- 2 to 5 years’ experience in a supply chain environment, ideally purchasing or supply chain analysis
- Undergraduate or post-graduate university degree in business administration, engineering, supply chain operations or related fields.
- Planning and coordination skills.
- Basic understanding of purchasing and supply chain systems & MRP/ERP systems.
- Basic-to-Intermediate level computer skills (MS Office suite).
- Willingness to learn new concepts and grow constantly within the supply chain environment
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Proficient analytical, mathematical and problem-solving skills.
- A collaborative team player with an ability to think in an agile manner
- Pharmaceutical or Food industry experience.
- Understanding of cold chain.
- Experience in a start-up or rapid growth organization.
- Experience in more than one sub-domain within supply chain: logistics, warehousing, procurement, purchasing, demand/supply planning.
- Knowledge of ERP software, specifically QAD.
- Enrolment in APICS or SCMAO courses towards certification
Competencies Require for the Role
- EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION - Is the ability to convey information to another effectively and efficiently, to listen – help facilitate sharing of information between people. It is about understanding the emotional intention behind the information. The ability to express oneself clearly in conversations, confirm understanding, communicate using data and facts. Exhibit willingness to listen and show respect for oneself and others in interactions with others. express oneself clearly in verbal and business writing.
- CUSTOMER ORIENTATION – The ability to demonstrate concern for satisfying one’s external or internal customers. Identifies and prioritizes customer needs and recognizes constraints. Seeks to find out more about customers and provide better service. Is professional, reliable and delivers on promises. Brings a competitive focus to customer.
- FOSTERING COLLABORATION/TEAMWORK- is the ability to work jointly with others or together especially in an intellectual endeavor; the ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team; as a team leader, the ability to demonstrate interest, skill, and success in getting groups to learn to work together. Builds partnerships for global performance. Respects others.
- THOROUGHNESS/DETAIL ORIENTED – Ensuring that one’s own and others’ work ad information are complete and accurate; carefully preparing for meetings and presentations following up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled.
- ANALYTICAL THINKING/PROBLEM SOLVING - is the ability to identify the information needed to clarify a situation, seek that information from various sources and then tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach. Ability to identify and separate the key components of problems and situations. Ability to interpret information from a range of sources to spot patterns and trends in information and to deduce cause and effect from this.
What We Offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Paid Holidays
- Competitive Vacation Policy
- Paid Sick Days
- Medical, Dental, Vision Benefits
- Defined Contribution Pension plan with employer matching
- Employee Assistance Program
At Bimeda we are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. Part of this commitment includes arranging accommodations to ensure an equitable opportunity to participate in the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
The job posting is available in an accessible format upon request by contacting the Human Resources Manager.