Executing purchases and being accountable for material availability (to support production) is the essential responsibility of this role. Which requires oversight over the flow of material and information through the facility, and leading/collaborating on efforts accordingly. It is critical that the Senior Buyer, is a seasoned professional with experience navigating complex problems and dealing with people at different levels with competing priorities. As negotiations, both internal and external are a day-to-day reality for the Senior Buyer. Must be an advocate for Continuous Improvement and waste elimination and take the lead on such activities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Purchasing & Inventory Management:
- Run MRP regularly to make purchasing decisions and process purchase orders to ensure timely ordering and delivery of goods.
- Constant assessment of needs, creating detailed RFP’s/RFQ’s, uses a variety of competitive bidding methods and negotiating purchasing agreements.
- Interpret and analyse competitive bidding information based on specific evaluation criteria and make PO award decisions.
- Establish a system to monitor and track material orders to expedite and de-expedite as needed.
- Provide updates on supply chain challenges to all stakeholders (i.e. Purchasing Manager, Planning, Operations, and Production).
- Monitor/manage material requirements, costs, lead times, inventory, and qualities concerns.
- Work closely with site Production Scheduler to manage exceptions in supply vs. scheduling and provide back up support for Scheduler tasks.
- Manage inventory levels for assigned commodity responsibilities and make plans and initiate actions to maintain inventory levels to budget – work closely with warehouse as needed.
- Supply planning and negotiations as business needs change – must monitor and be flexible to changes.
- Implement and maintain supplier stocking programs to support JIT and inventory reduction/control.
- Supports inventory/production control activities as needed – cross-train others.
- Other duties as assigned by Global Purchasing Manager.
Vendor Management & Reporting:
- Communicate expectations to suppliers and document terms & conditions accordingly within Purchase Order packages and enforce supplier compliance.
- Take the lead on resolving supplier complaints – work closely with Compliance Associate and QA.
- Establish and maintain trust and sustainable relationships with suppliers to ensure and promote fair and equitable pricing, terms and conditions.
- Know key personnel at each major supplier; understand their manufacturing processes, equipment and systems, and quality managements systems.
- Manage supplier performance and execution of supplier score cards – develop and maintain reports.
- Create reports on usages, budgets, and forecasts to identify opportunities for purchasing strategies and procurement projects, and act as project leader.
- Accountable for reporting material status at Production Meetings and participate in any other interdepartmental meetings that relate to assigned commodity and/or suppliers.
- Support Global Purchasing Manager in maintaining department metrics. Prepare various reports on a monthly or as needed basis for supply chain team.
Specific Skill Requirements:
- Minimum 5 year’s experience as a Buyer (or supply chain role) in manufacturing.
- Post-secondary diploma in business administration, materials & operations, finance, or related field.
- Proven negotiating skills.
- An understanding of contract language.
- Cognizant of law and regulations relating to procurement and contracts.
- Strong understanding of purchasing and supply chain systems, LEAN principles of planning, MRP/ERP systems.
- Intermediate-to-Advanced level computer skills (MS Office, QAD, SAP).
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Proficient analytical, mathematical and problem-solving skills.
- A collaborative leader, with openness to change. Persuasive, motivational and persistent.
- Skilled written and verbal communication in English, with proficiency in delivering presentation
- Pharmaceutical experience.
- Experience with Procurement Project Management and/or Commodity Management.
- Exposure to Continuous Improvement concepts and activities.
- Enrolment in APICS or SCMAO courses towards certification.
- Knowledge of API’s, excipients, and packaging gained through experience or education in the pharma industry.
- Project Management experience.
At Bimeda we are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. Part of this commitment includes arranging accommodations to ensure an equitable opportunity to participate in the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
The job posting is available in an accessible format upon request by contacting the Human Resources Manager
Bimeda is a leading global innovator, manufacturer and marketer of veterinary pharmaceuticals and animal health products and has over half a century’s experience in providing science-driven solutions to optimise the health, wellbeing and productivity of the world’s animals.
Bimeda’s global innovation programme sees six state-of-the art R&D centres across four continents collaborate on an enviable product development pipeline which anticipates the ever-evolving needs of the animal health industry.
Bimeda’s nine manufacturing facilities across seven countries allow the company to manufacture a broad range of preventative, curative and nutritional products including sterile injectables, vaccinations, nutritional boluses, feed additives, tablets, water-soluble powders, pastes and non-sterile liquids.
Globally, the company focuses on the development, manufacture and commercialisation of quality Bimeda-branded products while also being the partner of choice for contract manufacturing and R&D services for prominent companies within the animal health industry.
More Info at www.bimedacareers.com