The purpose of a Virus Production Technician is to provide support, as assigned, in the production of USDA licensed Viral Vaccines according to filed Outlines of Production. Doing so by leveraging their working knowledge of science, laboratory applications and production processes in meeting established performance expectations.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
- Works closely with other department personnel to ensure that production processes are completed in a safe, compliant, and timely manner
- Wears proper personal protective equipment and follows established aseptic techniques, and standard operating procedures when gowning, degowning and working in the controlled areas.
- Sterilization of production areas – cleaning and organization. Assures supplies, facilities, and equipment have been sterilized and ready for use
- Operates and monitors filling, labelling, and packaging equipment; observing and recording varying conditions; adjusting equipment and controls in accordance with established operating procedures (SOPs).
- Provide support, as required in blend prep and viral vaccine blends processes.
- Adheres to production schedules and ensures that all tasks are performed in a timely manner.
- Completes all related and assigned production documentation, using acceptable good documentation practices.
- Troubleshoots basic production related issues such as raw material discrepancies, equipment problems, etc.
- Assist in supply inventories – keep track of low supplies and make request through appropriate channels to procure supplies keeping laboratory stations and production areas stocked with necessary supplies
- Maintain lab and production equipment, cold storage containers, temperature logs, and cleaning logs in a “ready now” working condition, ensuring equipment has been calibrated.
- INITIATIVE - Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it.
- RESULTS ORIENTED – The ability to focus on the desired result of one’s own department’s work, setting challenging goals, focusing on the goals, and meeting or exceeding them.
- ACCOUNTABILITY/EXECUTION – A willingness to accept responsibility or to account for one’s actions. Accountability is when an individual or a department experiences consequences for their performance or actions.
- THOROUGHNESS/DETAIL ORIENTED – Ensuring that one’s own and others’ work and information are complete and accurate; carefully preparing for meetings and presentations following up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled.
- FOSTERING COLLABORATION/TEAMWORK- is the ability to work jointly with others or together especially in an intellectual endeavor; the ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team; as a team leader, the ability to demonstrate interest, skill, and success in getting groups to learn to work together. Builds partnerships for global performance. Respects others.
Experiences and Qualifications:
- Minimum of High School Diploma, or equivalent certifications
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient math and computer skills (including MS Office)
- Highly motivated and able to work under minimal supervision.
- Detail oriented, and reliable as displayed through expected attendance practices and behaviors.
- Must be able to perform calculations using simple mathematical formulas using fractions, percentages.
- Good command of the English Language. Must be able to read, understand, follow, and comply with technical and written documents and processing instructions as well as clearly and accurately document all required information into batch documents.
- Mechanical aptitude required in order to operate production and packaging equipment.
- Manufacturing experience in a regulated, aseptic production environment. Pharmaceutical production experience is highly preferred.
- Autoclaving experience – such as wrapping items using autoclaving material, setting up loads for autoclave.
- Packaging experience – such as doing needed paperwork for labels, inserts and boxes.
- Associates or Bachelor’s in life science related field